[Mini] Review: Fire by Kristin Cashore

Monday, October 06, 2014

Genres: YA | Fantasy | Romance
Published: October 5th 2009
Publisher: Dial Books
Book: GoodReads | Amazon Barnes & Noble
Author: GoodReads Twitter | Blog
Rating:
 

It is not a peaceful time in the Dells. The young King Nash clings to his throne while rebel lords in the north and south build armies to unseat him. The mountains and forests are filled with spies and thieves and lawless men. 

This is where Fire lives. With a wild, irresistible appearance and hair the color of flame, Fire is the last remaining human monster. Equally hated and adored, she had the unique ability to control minds, but she guards her power, unwilling to steal the secrets of innocent people. Especially when she has so many of her own.

Then Prince Brigan comes to bring her to King City, The royal family needs her help to uncover the plot against the king. Far away from home, Fire begins to realize there's more to her power than she ever dreamed. Her power could save the kingdom.

 If only she weren't afraid of becoming the monster her father was.



The Review

First of all, I think I should mention that I loved reading Graceling.  However, even without being compared to it's first book, Fire just didn't accomplish what it's predecessor managed to do.

What I did like about the book was the author's brilliant and ever-present world building and writing style. It was brilliantly done. Even then, as much as I did love it, and as much as it feels like a contradiction on my part, I felt like it was a bit over the top. I kept getting confused, messing everything up and basically struggling to get a hold of what the hell is happening.

Fire had to be surrounded by bodyguards whenever she was on her period because monsters are attracted to her blood.


How adorable!

Her personality occasionally reached borderline vibrant but I hated most of the things she did. She has her similarities to Katsa, but overall more whiny, naive and annoying. The thing that she did just fine throughout the whole novel was throwing herself into the arms of men because she's a "strong-minded, confident, powerful girl".

Thanks to Fire, though, I've learnt everything about periods! I mean honestly, she complained so much about it. WE KNOW, okay?

I'm not sure why Archer was even part of the book. He spent most of his time being a sexist asshole towards Fire, doing the whole friends with benefits thing with her, and also fathering children. (And quite possibly getting all sorts of diseases). But worry not, I bet there are herbs for that.

Brigan was an overall decent character, and I actually liked him. One of the few characters who used their brain and acted rationally.

All in all, this was a major disappointment to me, especially because this series had such a promising start. I feel it would have went a little better if Katsa and Po were still the main leads. Nevertheless! If you're looking for a book as good as Graceling, this disappoints.