Discussion: Negative Reviews

Monday, July 28, 2014


What do you think about negative reviews? Let's discuss!

Most of the time, it's much easier for me to write negative reviews. I think part of it has to do with the fact that when you like something, most of it revolves around feelings that are very hard to put into words.

I do believe that there has to be a limit to negativity, after all, authors value their  creations very much. So I always try to be fair and polite, and try to limit the ranting when making up my reviews. Funny thing is that, it's not part of my nature to be polite when I dislike something so it complicates things a tad bit more.

I think negative reviews are often the most detailed ones. Like I've mentioned above, a good book means feelings that are hard to describe, but it's the complete opposite with bad books. There are my points to discuss.

Negative reviews can be very influential with the more details and less malice. I almost always check out the reviews on GoodReads to decide whether I want to read a book or not, often checking the thoughts of my close friends. I tend to stray away from books with a bad reputation and that's why I like to avoid GoodReads reviews when I come across books I'm too curious about - and don't want anything to stand in the way of.

So how about you? 
What do you think about negative reviews?
Where do you stand when it comes to writing negative reviews? 
Do negative reviews have more influence on you? 
Share your thoughts!